Tuesday

Half Marathon Trek

This past March, I participated in a half marathon hosted by the Rock 'N Roll Marathon Series in Washington D.C....against my better judgement. In all honesty, I was bullied into it by my very fit siblings. All four of them. I had a very strong feeling that I should not participate in such physical and mental torture, but with enough guilt, I payed the fee of $125 to engage in the sweatbloodtears-athon. In the end, it ended up being a wonderful experience from the training to the finish line.

At the point that I started training in January, I was pretty comfortable running 5ks. That was a good start, but I still had a ways to go. I had many reference guides for how to train for the 13.1, and I strayed from all of them. Since I instruct and participate in HIIT (high intensity interval training), kickboxing, yoga, and spin throughout the week, I thought running just once a week would be good enough because I do many other workouts. Also, I believe that doing HIIT once or twice a week did really help my running.

So, this ended up being a 5K to 13.1 mile - 13 week plan..




Many people would say that this is the "wrong" way to train because it doesn't include intervals, or your body is not running enough in a week, blah, blah, blah. But, I am telling you that I did do it this way and I ended up running this half marathon in 2:03, which is pretty darn good for me. And, I must mention, that I live in Maine...the race was in March. This means that I trained in the snow, ice, temps in the single digits, with face masks and winter vests. If I can do it here, you can do it anywhere.




Here's a pic of my 3 brothers and my sister pre race:



I encourage you to try one if you have never done one before...or even if you have yet to give running a try, I would just do it. It's freeing, good for your health, and extremely gratifying once it's over. I didn't want to do this initially, but I am so happy I gave in and proved to myself I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment