Monday

Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


For years I have been after a cookie recipe that was delicious and saved me a few calories. I experimented with substituting the butter with applesauce or yogurt and even Splenda, but nothing tasted as good as a real indulgent chocolate chip cookie. By modifying a few key ingredients, I finally did it.

What I did...

1) I used whipped butter because it was all I had in the fridge. Whipped butter naturally has less fat and calories per tablespoon because it has air whipped into it. It might work just as well to just use less real butter, but it works with the whipped and I know I'm saving us some calories and fat, so I'm not messing with it.

2) I only used one egg. The consistency of the dough is dry, but it comes out of the oven in one piece, so one egg does the trick just fine.

3) I used less sugar. I think most recipes call for 3/4 cup of each white and brown sugar, but I cut it down just a bit. Enough where it cuts out some calories, but doesn't make the cookies taste any less sweet.

4) I used white whole wheat flour. What an awesome ingredient! I have used whole wheat flour in recipes and it just tastes too....wheaty. Almost like cardboard and the consistency is way too heavy. I have even used half white and half wheat flour, but it still does not taste as good as a real cookie. What I did was use the white whole wheat flour and less of it. I think regular recipes call for 2 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. So what you get with my recipe is healthier cookies and less calories from flour.


Here are the ingredients:

3/4 cup whipped butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (Mexican vanilla extract is what I use)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup white wheat flour
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

How to make it:

1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
1) Now, I want you to melt the butter in the microwave or by stovetop just enough so that it can mix with the sugars. Add in the sugars, vanilla extract, and egg. Mix all of these ingredients together.
2) Next, in a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Sift slowly into the wet mixture. You will definitely notice that the dough is dry as you mix it in. Here's the fun (and necessary part)...wash your hands, and get in there. Mixing it with your hands somehow does a better job than a spoon, especially with this tough dough.
3) Go ahead and add in the chocolate chips and walnuts. I recommend mixing it with your hands again.
4) Again, the dough is going to be dry, so you're going to have to roll it in your hands and shape it into a ball about an inch wide. Drop them down on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5) Now, what I do is I make about 5 to 10 cookies, then freeze the rest. To make it easy, I take out some Saran wrap and drop the dough down on it. Roll it into logs and put it in a freezer bag. So whenever you want to practice portion control, cut a out a sliver and eat just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment